Friday, January 28, 2011

Cort 'Pro-Custom' mods...



Mod Specs: 'Pro-Custom by Cort' Strat-Type
Original single-coil at the bridge has been replaced by
an Ibanez INF4 humbucker. Also added for the INF4 
is a coil-tap switch (small toggle next to the pickup 
selector). All other electronics are original.

This guitar was originally purchased in 2008 for about $100. I had bought it solely for its one piece solid maple neck to be used in another experimental guitar concept (now cancelled). However, I made the 'mistake' of plugging it in when I got it home. The sound smacked me back to my senses; only then did I notice it had amazing action, and a floating tremolo with solid metal saddles. It's been in regular use since then, and the new addition has only made it better. 
Its original smooth tone can still be pulled from the mid and neck pickups, but now can switch into scream mode in an instant. It's still being fine-tuned, but in spite of it's higher output the INF4 compliments the original sound better than I expected. Thanks to Ace Yates for the gift certificate to Manchester Music Mill (http://manchestermusicmill.com), which is where I got the used INF4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment